Exporting drafts to Day One
  • I have a lot of old drafts that I never had the heart to post. Rather than cluttering up MarsEdit I'd like them in Day One, an offline diary app. Before I script something, did anybody already do it?
  • Not that I have heard of or can remember. And looking at the scripting support or MarsEdit, I'm a little ashamed to report that I don't think there is currently a way to get access through scripting to the entire list of unpublished drafts. Maybe I can pull something together and release a beta release that has a "local drafts" element on the application. It does seem like a gaping omission.

The other option would be to go at making the migration by working directly with the draft files in MarsEdit's application support folder:

[Home] -> Library -> Application Support -> MarsEdit -> LocalDrafts

Note: If you are running on OS X Lion 10.7 or later, you can get to the "Library" folder by holding the option key while selecting Go -> Library from the Finder's menu bar.

These are XML-based but should be fairly parseable through scripting if it came down to that.
  • I'm done but can't find how to format code on this forum...
  • Sorry, the forum is not great for things like this. Is the code in a scripting language, or something else? You might try wrapping the code with BBCode tags for "code"... I can't say them literally here or ... sigh ... it will try to apply them. But for BBCode you use the name of the tags in square brackets for example if it were zode instead of code: [zode]your code here[/zode].
  • I had tried zode, but for some reason it backslash escapes quote characters, so it's useless. Here goes:

http://pastie.org/private/evtxw3veckebilzbogup9q
  • Nice! Great succinct script with the help of that python plistlib. Thanks for sharing it for the benefit of others who want to do something like this.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!