*headdesk* Deleted blog posts
  • I recently moved to a new server and I forgot to move one of my blogs. No problem! I had all of the posts in it in MarsEdit. So I set up all the passwords, etc. and pushed Refresh.

Which proceeded to delete all of the posts from MarsEdit, because (duh) I didn't have any on the server.

Is there anyway to undo this? I have backups of my Macbook, if I can find the data there.
  • Hi Diane - I'm sorry to hear you lost the posts. Yes, it's not completely obvious but "Refresh" in MarsEdit always means "download the latest from the blog." MarsEdit is not meant as an archival app.

If you do have backups of your MacBook, you can probably restore to before you did the Refresh and at least get back to where whatever cached copies of your posts are still available in MarsEdit.

Additionally for any posts you wrote and published in MarsEdit you should be able to find them in a special emergency backup folder:

[Home] -> Library -> Application Support -> MarsEdit -> Backups

Note: If you are running on OS X Lion 10.7 or later, you can get to the "Library" folder by holding the option key while selecting Go -> Library from the Finder's menu bar.

Finally, is there any chance that the old site where you were hosting your blog still has a copy of the blog that you could export? In general I recommend when moving blogs to export from the old blog and import from the new blog, using the blog's own built-in import/export capabilities.

Daniel
  • Thanks -- no, the old site is gone. One of the reason I got off that server was that I couldn't make backups of my Wordpress blogs. I will have to see if Time Machine can help me out.

Thanks.
  • Diane - before you do anything else with MarsEdit, can I recommend that you do a backup of the whole Application Support folder for MarsEdit?

[Home] -> Library -> Application Support -> MarsEdit

There's a chance some of your older blog posts are lurking in there and I'd like to help you get them out if it comes to that.

Daniel
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!