fastscripts crashing
  • I noticed that fastscripts is crashing even I invoke `do shell script` in the applescript

For example, I want to assign a global keyboard shortcut for the following applescript.

do shell script "/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g"

Fastscript crashes whenever I execute this script. Please help.
  • Hi tjdoc - does FastScripts generate a crash log when the crash occurs?

Would you mind taking a look in your crash reports folder and see if the system recorded any logs for FastScripts?

[Home] -> Library -> Logs -> CrashReporter

Note: If you are running on OS X Lion 10.7 or later, you can get to the "Library" folder by holding the option key while selecting Go -> Library from the Finder's menu bar.

They would either start with "FastScripts" or "com.red-sweater.FastScripts".

You might want to send me the crash log to support@red-sweater.com.

Thanks!
    Daniel
  • There is no crash log generated by FastScripts. FastScripts simply hangs ("Not Responding" in the activity monitor app) with a spinning beachball whenever I invoke the previous command.

Strange thing is, when I quit the process invoked by FastScript (in this case, quitting MacVim), FastScripts starts responding again.

• Daniel JalkutDaniel Jalkut
    Accepted Answer
    Ah thanks for that extra information. I think what must be happening in this case is AppleScript is literally waiting for the "do shell script" command to finish, but it never does because the app is still running. Normally a shell script is expected to run, finish running, then return a result.

What if you change the line in your script to run the "open" tool instead of running the app itself directly? You could try:

do shell script "open /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim --args -g"

I think that might get you the behavior you are looking for, which is to launch the app but then to return immediately to the calling script.
  • Yes, this works. Thanks for you help Daniel!
  • Glad to help! Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Start a New Discussion

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!