April 11th, 2016
MarsEdit 3.7.7 is now available from the MarsEdit home page, and will be submitted to Apple for update on the Mac App Store.
In MarsEdit 3.7.6, I changed the behavior of the Flickr photo browser so that it only showed “public” photos. I had received some requests to omit private photos from the list, and it seemed to make sense: who would want to blog with private photos?
It turns out a few people do in fact keep their photos private by default but take advantage of the fact that even a private photo can be embedded in public blog content.
To satisfy both folks who treat private photos as permanently, 100% not suitable for blogging, and folks who want to occasionally select from among these for their posts, MarsEdit 3.7.7 now features a checkbox:
Just check it on or off to suit your preference, and the choice will stick until you choose otherwise.
Complete list of changes:
- Private Flickr photos can now be included or not at user’s discretion
- Fix a bug that caused Google/Blogger image uploads to sometimes fail
- Fix a bug that caused removal of items from Media Favorites to fail
- Fix terminology used in panel while sending a new or edited post
March 8th, 2016
MarsEdit 3.7.6 is now available from the MarsEdit home page, and has been submitted to Apple for update on the Mac App Store.
I recently took the opportunity to go through a long list of open bug reports against MarsEdit, and discovered a good number of items that I felt motivated to finally take action on. Although MarsEdit is on the whole very stable, like any complex application, it has bugs. This release fixes many minor issues that have nonetheless affected users over the years.
Here is the list of bugs addressed by this update:
- Fix a bug that prevented local draft being deleted after publishing bookmark-generated posts
- Fix a bug in which pasted text from Microsoft Word could get treated as an image in MarsEdit
- Fix a bug that could allow image uploads to be attempted to a blog that doesn’t support it
- Fix a bug that could cause unnecessary prompts for Blogger username/password
- Fix a bug in which the media manager failed to update the target blog when active document changed
- Fix a bug in which image pixel size did not adjust to account for Retina mode switching on
- Fix the Flickr browser to omit photos that are not public
- Fix the appearance of ‘New Category’ text field to use proper placeholder text
- Fix scripting support for inserting text, so the insertion point moves to the end of insertion
Software development and design is an iterative process. Here’s looking forward to the next steps!
February 25th, 2016
MarsEdit 3.7.5 is now available from the MarsEdit home page, and will be available soon for update on the Mac App Store.
The main purpose for this update is to respond to security concerns with the Sparkle software update mechanism that MarsEdit uses. Although Red Sweater uses a custom version of Sparkle, it was vulnerable to the same issues affecting the main distribution of Sparkle.
MarsEdit now uses HTTPS exclusively to communicate with Red Sweater not only for the purpose of downloading updates, but for other functions such as checking for news announcements, or submitting crash reports.
This release of MarsEdit 3.7.5 caps off a recent spate of updates I’ve made to Red Sweater’s apps, bringing them all up to date with the same use of HTTPS exclusively for communication with Red Sweater’s servers.
In addition to the HTTPS updates, this update fixes a rare crashing bug.
- Fix a crash that could occur when subtle image upload failures occur on WordPress
- Switch to HTTPS URLs for increased security loading resources from Red Sweater
February 19th, 2016
A WordPress bug was brought to my attention in which changing the publish status of a post from “Draft” to “Published”, while also giving the post a specific date, for example to schedule it for the future, would cause the post to be unexpectedly published immediately, instead of scheduled for the future date.
I looked into this and discovered the problem is in WordPress’s server-side infrastructure. Specifically, there were changes late last year that expose clients such as MarsEdit to the problem. I submitted a fix for the issue to the WordPress team. Hopefully they will review and agree that it merits including in a future update!
In the mean time, if you use MarsEdit with WordPress, you should beware if you take advantage of both the ability to publish posts as drafts to WordPress, and the ability to later turn that draft into a scheduled post by setting a future date in MarsEdit.
Unfortunately, the only reliable way I know to avoid this problem from MarsEdit is to give your draft post a date before you ever send it to WordPress. If a draft post starts out with a date specified, the bug will not occur on later edits to the post, for example when you switch the publish status to “Published.”
I hope this bug is fixed in a public update to WordPress, soon!