Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Notification of Script Running

edited August 2005 in FastScripts
Sorry to bombard you, but this just occurred to me.

I know that the FS menu bar icon changes color when a script is running, but it would be an added feature if I could post a notification (ideally of my choosing) at the beginning of a script that would automatically dismiss itself when the script was finished.

-- at the beginning of the script:
display message \"Checking Your IP Address\" at screen position¬
top right dismissing when script quits
-- the rest of the script

• Interesting idea. I will add this to my list of considerations for future features.

As a workaround in the mean time you should be able to save a reference to the message window and then close it manually at the end of the script by changing its autodimiss time:
    tell application \"FastScripts\"
    set myNote to display message \"hello\" dismissing after delay 0
    end tell

-- Rest of the script --

tell application \"FastScripts\"
    set autodismiss time of myNote to 0.01
    end tell

This isn't an ideal setup but it might be useful for now.
  • edited August 2005
    Works fine, no trouble, solves the problem. I had not previously thought about the property "autodismiss time" and would not have guessed that it would have instant effect (I assumed that delay time was set to stay). I made it a bit briefer:

tell application \"FastScripts\" to set myNote to display message \"hello\" dismissing after delay 0

-- Rest of the script --

tell application \"FastScripts\" to set autodismiss time of myNote to 0.01

I could even craft a little handler to do this: onRunNote(msg, lastTime) so I could display intermediate notes of steps in my sequence by resetting my message and then with lastTime set to true, autodismiss it.
  • Yeah I'm not completely satisified with the dictionary terms and documentation for the "display message" stuff. I am glad it's working for you now with the autodismiss property!