Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Configure for SharePoint 2010

edited December 2009 in MarsEdit
Has anyone had any success connecting MarsEdit to SharePoint 2010 for blogging? If so, are there instructions posted for the "API Endpoint URL"?

• Hi there - I believe the SharePoint API format is like this:

Does that make any sense at all for your site's typical URL formats? (You'd replace the {sharepointsite} with your base url for the site).

• Thanks Daniel. Does MarsEdit support NTLM? It's failing to connect with my user-name password.
  • This thread has moved into private email, but to anybody who finds this thread and is interested:

MarsEdit doesn't support NTLM, so it seems necessary to make sure that you offer access through standard HTTP authentication.

We're still working out some details but I think the primary problem for this thread is based on the use of NTLM authentication in the blog server.
  • We were able to get MarsEdit to work by configuring SharePoint 2007 for Basic Auth. It's a short-term fix until MarsEdit provides the preferred ability to connect via NTLM.
  • Hi Daniel,

I was wondering if there was a possibility of NTLM support coming to MarsEdit anytime soon? I realise that this is a feature that would be low on your to do list, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless.

• Hi Diego - I'm sorry but NTLM has not been a high enough priority for me to implement support in MarsEdit.

Thanks for checking, and thanks for your reasonable expectations about the priority of such support :)

• Do you have more information on how to set up MarsEdit with Sharepoint? I think I have it set up... I set the Homepage URL to the URL in the web browser when I look at the blog. In Settings, I set System Name to
  • Ugh, sorry about this, my forum software is suddenly acting up and cutting the ends of messages off. I may have missed something important about your question.

I haven't done a lot of testing with Sharepoint. But I can probably help debug what's going wrong. The best bet is to email me so I can follow through with your specific situation and make sure it gets resolved.
  • I realize this thread is almost a year old, but I wondered if there was any update or any plans yet on enabling NTLM support? I have a hosted SharePoint blog that uses NTLM so I don't have the option to switch it to Forms/Claims based authentication. Just hoping to find software for the mac to publish to my blog.

• Hi Ben - I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. As far as I can tell the number of folks who are looking for NTLM support from a Mac client is very low so it hasn't become a high priority for me. Ideally I would like to support all possible blog systems but unfortunately since my time is limited I have to pick and choose to support the more common configurations first.
  • I think I'm stuck with the same dilemma. We use SharePoint as our blog system at work and MarsEdit seems to be the most recommended blog app for OSX. I keep getting stuck at the "enter login" stage so I'm assuming it's an NTLM vs Basic Auth issue. Daniel - what sort of bounty would you be looking for to add NTLM support, if any?
  • Hi beerygaz - unfortunately it's not a question of bounty. It's a question of how common this problem is to potential MarsEdit customers. As I understand it, even Windows Live Writer on Windows doesn't support NTLM, so I think this is situation where SharePoint is taking the stance that they don't care to be very accessible by blog-editing applications.

Out of curiosity, are you able to connect to your blog from Windows Live Writer?
  • Hi Daniel,
    Not sure if it makes a difference, but add my vote for a way to easily connect to Sharepoint. I'm trying out MarsEdit as kind of middleware right now, and then copying and pasting the generated HTML into SP's "Create a Post" form, but would love to have a workflow managed from a single application.
  • Thanks, gazzer. As I said I think there are unfortunately not many folks who this affects, and the amount of work it would take to address is pretty large. But this thread should be a great place for people to chime in if they are wishing MarsEdit would work around some of the issues currently making Sharepoint integration hard.