MarsEdit 3.4 is now available for direct download from the Red Sweater site, and as an update in the Mac App Store.
For a long time I’ve been hoping to improve MarsEdit’s media management capabilities. It already does a great deal to streamline browsing and insertion of images from Flickr, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, etc., but it could do much, much more.
This release takes MarsEdit a step in that direction, giving the media manager window a minor UI overhaul, fixing bugs, and adding some new browser capabilities such as a zoom control for media thumbnails, and ability browse iPhoto pictures by “Faces.”
Lightroom users will be happy to see that MarsEdit now has limited support for Photo Collection Sets. As I’m not a dedicated Lightroom user, I may be missing some nuances of how this should work, so continue to give me your feedback about how MarsEdit hits or misses the mark with regard to Lightroom integration.
The update also includes a few fixes for nagging bugs. Of course, there are many more in the queue, so hold tight and stay tuned if your pet peeves haven’t been addressed this time around.
- Media management improvements
- New zoom control for browser thumbnail size
- iPhoto Faces browsing support
- Lightroom photo collection set support
- Upload Utility window now resizable
- Flickr browser improvements
- Now supports “Medium 640″ size
- Only shows image sizes that are available for the selected image
- External Editing improvements
- Now supports Byword in default editor list
- Now displays a warning panel if the selected app is not installed
- Bug Fixes
- Bookmarklet handler now heeds sourceHomeURL, sourceFeedURL, sourceName
- Prevent a crash when selecting SVG format images
- Disable width/height fields for non-image files in Upload Utility
- Fix a bug where post IDs were sometimes not saved for posts and pages